Analytics
2.3K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Issues Connecting to GA data in Tableau

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am connecting to my company's GA data account through the data visualization tool, Tableau. When trying to create a data extract in Tableau with GA, the workbook gives an vague error message about being unable to create and extract. I've reached out to Tableau quite a few times and they've analyzed my error logs and did a Fiddler trace while trying to reproduce the error. The process of creating the extract either takes a long time and/or gives us an error message when trying to create an extract that has 3 month's worth of data or greater (typically). Please see below for email excerpt in quotations.

"... [contact] Google to see if they can provide more information about why they are returning an error intermittently when connecting to their API with Tableau Desktop.  The Fiddler trace shows that we successfully request for information 10 times before the 11th request returns with an internal server error."

My company has been using GA for the past two years and really like the depth of data it provides for us. Can anyone please assist us with this issue?

-Cayla

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Issues Connecting to GA data in Tableau

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
When asking for large amounts of data from GA, if the server is loaded, it can cause an internal error if it fails to return the results in a reasonable time. The more you ask for, the higher the risk of a problem, especially if your query uses segments or a large number of dimensions. To improve the situation, consider taking multiple smaller snapshots (like monthly) and merging the data together offline.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.