Analytics
3.1K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Isolate a view for a subsite

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

One of our subsites wants to track their own user numbers. Our site uses one UA-00000-1 number.

I want to isolate or separate a view for their pages only. Can this be done under one account?

I would love a web page, document or feedback with the most sensible way to approach this. I am currently reading the Account Structures help pages. Thanks for the help--Mike

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Isolate a view for a subsite

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Mike,

How are these subpages structured? Are they under a different subfolder (ie. www.example.com/subsite/stuff.html), or is it a different subdomain (ie. subsite.example.com), or another method?

Depending on the above, you can easily create a new view specifically for this subsite, and you would just need to add a filter to include a particular subdomain or folder.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Mike,

Is the subsite set up on a subdomain or in a subdirectory?

For tracking subdomain traffic only in a view you need to set up a custom include filter. Create the new View and go to Admin -> View -> Filters. Click Add Filter, add a name, select Custom and include. Choose Hostname for Filter Field and enter your subdomain as subdomain\.domain\.com. Verify your filter at the bottom to make sure that it works.

If the subsite is in a subfolder, you need to create a similar include filter but instead of hostname you need to choose Request URI for filter field and add your subfolder into the Filter pattern field. Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Nicky Y,

The structure is like this:
main site - www.wapa.gov/Pages/
sub site - www.wapa.gov/EnergyServices/Pages

If i create a new view with a filter to include the subdomain or folder (/EnergyServices/), would the energy services owner after logging in only be able to see their data and not any of the rest of the site information? Long question I know, but I am not sure how to ask the question. Sorry if I am asking the obvious. I have just been tasked to figure out our site goals and I an new at this. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Thanks

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick reply!

So to isolate the sub site, you need to create a new "Predefined" filter with the following fields:

"Include only" "traffic to the subdirectories" "that begin with"

and then in the Subdirectory field, enter "/EnergyServices"

(You can read more about these filters here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033162?hl=en#PredefinedFilters)

This view with this filter will now include data to those pages only, and not any other folders. I would probably create a new view for this, rather than add it to an existing view. And remember to test the filter as well.

Feel free to email back if you have any other questions!

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold.

I believe it is a subdomain--it's one folder level down from - www.example/Pages/default.aspx mainpage (sharepoint site). I want to create separate access for the energy services person so that they can only see their data and not the rest of the site's data. I hope this is possible and not too difficult. Thanks for helping.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author phongdaw
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Mike,

Create the new view and add the filter as Nicky described. When ready go to User Management for the new view and add the email of the person you want to give permissions to with Read & Analyse permissions. Now when he logs in he will only see their data. Let me know if you have questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Nicky Y,

Thanks for the great answer. I will try this approach. I wanted to select Solution Accepted for your answer as well, but didn't know i could only accept one response. I really appreciate your great information--thanks

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Mike, no worries, we are here to help and not to get the "best answers"!

If you have been helped, then we have done our job!

Cheers!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the great information. i will try this today. I appreciate you being able to help.