Analytics
4K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Inheriting a Google Analytics account - Best practices

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I've put this discussion under 'Account Access' although I don't have any problem in doing that. I'm interested in knowing if anyone is aware of any blog, article, etc. about best practices when inheriting one (or more) Google Analytics accounts in order to understand how it's been set up, goals, etc.? I can't find anything written in the subject and I think it'd be very valuable to set a strong foundation to develop the account and insights.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks and Regards, A.

Re: Inheriting a Google Analytics account - Best practices

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I think the best practice is to use the admin panel, under Account there is User Management that lets you manage permission levels and review who has access to the data. Goals and filters can be a little tricky depending on the user you are inheriting the account from. Sometimes asking them to walk through their process or if they have a cheat/quick reference sheet can save you some time.

At the bottom of the View column in the Admin is a link that says +Share Assets, which lets you send Goals, Segments, Custom Reports and GA Channel Grouping with other users on the account. If you can get you predecessor to use this function, you should be in good shape.

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Miguel,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not worried about permissions. I need an understanding of goals, events, if the tracking is correct, etc for multiple properties... like audit basically. The person looking after this is not around, that's the problem...

Regards, A.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
@ACG I guess that would make things more challenging. Well, it sounds like you will not be able to simply pick up where they left off with the Assets. If you have access to any of the old reports, you might be able to extrapolate the filters they used by experimenting with the filters and trying to match the page views for a given period, not by any means easy. Even if you had all the setting, understanding the process in order to do an audit could get complicated. Sorry, this probably isn't the route you intended on taking, but the best I can offer you is an alternative.

If you are able to discuss the previous goals and KPIs with the client, you might consider starting over and making improvements straight out of the gate. If they were only using basic Goals and weak filters/segments, you could look like a superstar by establishing conversion attribution funnels to track micro-conversions that lead to main goals for the website. https://youtu.be/vEpq3nYeZBc?t=28s

You could also enable demographic information, which would give them better insights on their actual audience for the articles, then create a custom segment to delve deeper into how those demographics influence how they use the website. From there, you have new audience personas based on actual metrics.

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Miguel, I will look into some of your suggestions Smiley Happy

Best Regards, A.