Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Inaccruate bounce rate

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been told that this can happen if the tag 'pageview' is fired more than once as It sents Google twice the data that It should. I have been told that in order to test this you need to check that you need to use browser's console and search for requests containing the keyword "collect" There should be only 1 such request per page view.

I can see two calls with the same information once after the other, the first one has Status 307 Internal Redirect  and the second one has Status 200. Does this count as a duplication? If yes, do you have any advice on how to remove it?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Inaccruate bounce rate

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi, it sounds like you're getting duplication indeed.

Look for code in your page that can trigger a second page view.
If you use Google Tag Manager, make sure you don't have overlapping rules that may fire two page views instead of one.
What is your site's URL?
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Please enter 10 or more characters here.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Maria,

i cannot seem to reproduce the double call, at least on the home page.
It looks like only GTM is implemented so as I mentioned you might have overlapping rules.
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

A quick scan on your site revealed 100% coverage for both GA and GTM \o/

Screenshot 2016-07-19 16.23.37.png

Having said that, there occurences of double calls:

Screenshot 2016-07-19 16.26.04.png

This is mostly due to h

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

A quick scan on your site revealed 100% coverage for both GA and GTM \o/

Screenshot 2016-07-19 16.23.37.png

Having said that, there occurrences of double calls:

Screenshot 2016-07-19 16.26.04.png

This is mostly due to having both a page view and an event on product list pages. The event handles impression data but unfortunately is interactive, meaning anyone landing on that page will get zero bounce rate.

Go to GTM and locate your Enhanced eCommerce event and in advanced tag options, go to Fields to Set and set nonInteractive to true. That way you will still register the page view AND Capture enhanced eCommerce data. Note that a single page view tag with ecommerce enabled would have worked the same and saved you one tag :-)

Also, in reports go to Behavior > Site Content > Landing pages and look for pages with lower-than-average bounce rate. Chances are those are the pages with the double call issue.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Julien,

Thank you for your prompt response.

I have more than one Enhanced Ecommerce event, e.g. Add To Cart, Async Detail, Async impression, async purchase, checkout step, check out step option, product click, remove from cart, social interaction and user timing, etc. Would you recommend change for all of them to nonInteraction hit = True?
Could you let me know which tools you used to run those reports, please?

Regards,

Maria

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Maria,
I would keep the interactive events as... interactive (add to cart, product click, add/remove from cart) and leave the passive events such as impressions or product detail views as non-interactive.

The scan reports are done with Hub'Scan.