Analytics
2.9K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

I have an existing Google analytics Tracking ID that I want to add to my analytics accoun

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

This question was originally asked on the previous Google Analytics product forum.

I have a website that has an existing Google analytics Tracking ID.  I want to add that website to my analytics account but there doesn't seem to be a way to do it.  The only thing I can find is how to generate a new tracking ID.  I don't need to do that, I need to use an existing tracking ID.

Help!
1 Expert replyverified_user

I have an existing Google analytics Tracking ID that I want to add to my analytics accoun

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

This answer was originally provided on the previous Google Analytics product forum.

Do you have admin access to the analytics account with the existing tracking ID?

If so, then you have to add your current google account login email as an admin user to that other analytics account, or have the account admin do it.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1009702?hl=en&ref_topic=1009690

Having the ID and tracking on a website doesn't automatically mean you own the google account that the GA account is admined by.
You need to be able to verify ownership of the original google account.

I suggest you read this post by Google Employee Kasha

(the key bits are highlighted)

To be able to recover access to the account, everybody has to go through a strict security process. This obviously is not possible on a public forum and for data security reasons we prefer you to not to post email addresses.

For this moment we ask you to follow the below steps for account recovery and further support in that matter.
Every Google account user can contact the AdWords Support in their native language. I know that not everybody has an AdWords account - but this is only necessary for phone support and AdWords teams do support access recovery for Analytics accounts. 
By sending out an email (through the “contact us form”) or contacting the support by chat you can quickly and effectively present your issue and regain access by following a few steps, which will be explained to you after contacting the support.
Please go to the following page to see the contact options and while logged in click on the preferred channel.

This is going to be a much more effective way for you to regain access to the accounts and your requests will not get lost in the amount of posts anymore.