Analytics
2K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

How to unverify an unwanted owner to my google webmaster account

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hi,

i have tried to unverify an unwanted owner on my google account however the steps I've found in the forum doesn't work as the email isn't found in the analytics account.

when i unverify it says i need to remove a meta tag from my site, where do i find this?

thanks 

a

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

It would be found in the source code of the website. How this is edited to remove it would depend on how the site is built/what platform it is on.

For questions and assistance with Google Search Console (previously Webmaster Tools)
best place to ask is on the webmaster central help forum
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/webmasters

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Re: How to unverify an unwanted owner to my google webmaster account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Brilliant thank you,

Do you know if deleting the unwanted owner will effect my verification, would I need to send a new code?

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Make sure you unverify them for www and the non-www if applicable

A site owner can be verified via multiple ways at the same time

eg i can verify ownership of my own site by having administrative access of the applicable GA account, i can then also then choose to verify via add the meta tag given to me by google search console etc.

In theory, removing their verification should not affect your own verification, which should be different to theirs..
BUT (and i am not 100% certain on this)
If they verified you via delegation, then you may want to also use another method to verify yourself (the ga code, your own meta tag assigned by google, upload of verification file from google etc) before removing
their verification..
hope that is all clear as mud.
I would double check on the webmaster central help forum before taking action though

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Great, I'll forward this to a website developer

Thank you for your help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@AOK Fitnesss Hi, I would interested to know how things worked out for you. I have the same problem, just now got notification that my site has a newly verified owner who redirected my site to Japan. They used an html file as verification. 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Nicholas L

For questions and assistance with Google Search Console (previously Webmaster Tools) and

website ownership verification, best place to ask is on the webmaster central help forum
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/webmasters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, yes same issue as I had.

I hired a developer to remove the owner as I was worried I may remove more than necessary. He literally did it within a day,
I recommend if you're not familiar with coding to hire a developer..
I hope you manage to resolve it :-)