Analytics
4.7K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

How to track two versions of website running concurently

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are redesigning our website and are looking to launch it shortly. When the new website is launched it will run concurrently with the old one for at least a few weeks. The domain/hostname for both sites are the same. After a few weeks the old site will be retired.

In GA there is a property and views for the old site that has been running for a long time, and a GTM container. When work started on the new website a new GA property, views and GTM container was created for it.

Ideally I'd like to continue using the old (existing) GA property, views and GTM container so that when I run reports I can still use historical data. For example, before the transition to the new website there were x sessions per month, during the time both old and new versions of the site were running concurrently there were y sessions per month, and after the old website was decommissioned there were z sessions per month.

I can simply make a change on the new site so that it runs the same GTM snippet as the old site, so traffic data from both sites will flow into one property-the old one. But how can I distinguish between traffic from the old versus the new site? Hostname is the same for both so I can't segment by it.