Analytics
2.4K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

How to start with a clean slate with analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was recently asked to help my brother with his WordPress based company site. I set up a Google analytics plug-in  on his site using my account and code. However, he already had tracking set up by his now departed web designer.  The original (and a couple of other strange tracking codes) exist on his site. Obviously the data is useless.  I know that I can delete everything I have done (plug-in and account tracking in my account) but how do I get rid of the older tracking codes? Keep in mind the creator of those codes has long departed and unreachable according to my understanding.  Basically I would like to blow up what has been created and start fresh using my analytics account.  

1 Expert replyverified_user

How to start with a clean slate with analytics

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

Unless you have the necessary access and permissions to the analytics account that was previously created by the designer then you wont be able to delete it
however..
You can get rid of the older tracking codes by just removing them from the website.
and once that is done.. then that account(s) for the relevant tracking ids will no longer continue to receive new data.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here