Analytics
2.8K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

How to reuse a tracking ID for multiple Properties

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Upon creating a new property for analytics I see the following note:

"An existing tracking ID can be reused in multiple app versions, app editions, and across platforms".

This is also mentioned roughly in https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2587087?hl=en&utm_id=ad

However I can not find how to enable this reuse of a single tracking ID for several platforms.

We have one app for iOS, Android, GearVR, Daydream as well as some PC platforms.

We wish to both see the analytics data by platform and for all the platforms.

Is it possible? Can separation still be achieved if I have a single trackingID for all? 
If I use a single tracking ID from all platforms how do I create separate properties for each?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

You can just use the same code on all your platforms, but make sure to identify the app name and version in your tracking snippet.  Then you can use the App Name and App Version fields in GA to report across platforms, or to separate them.

Note that if the screen names or operation is different, they will all be mashed together in the reports, so in that case, separate properties would be better.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What is the "Tracking Snippet" when referring to Mobile/Desktop apps? (we're using Unity for iOS, Android-different stores, and Windows-different store: hence many different platforms)?

Does this mean I have to use different version and name for each platform (Store)?

Please note google note (https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2587087?hl=en&utm_id=ad):

Track different platforms of an app in different properties.
If you’ve developed the same app for different platforms (i.e., MyApp for Android and MyApp for iOS), track them in different properties.

Does "different properties" necessarily means different tracking ID? 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

A Google Analytics "Web Property" is assigned a unique tracking code. GA has accounts, web properties and views. When you set it up, the web property is the part that gives you the tracking code. You can have lots of web properties, each with its own code, and the data you capture in one is independent of the data in the others.

In your app, you have programming code that sends a screen view to GA using the tracking code as an identifier. On a web page, they'd call that a Javascript tracking snippet...I used the term loosely.

If all of this is a bit confusing, then stay with separate tracking codes/web properties for each app platform. That would give you independent reporting of each platform, which makes your life a lot simpler. Otherwise you will need to become proficient at custom reporting and the use of segments and filters.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In Firebase, I can use a user property for say a "platform" and then filter all the data by it.
Does GA has a feature like this? So I could use one tracking ID and just filter what I need?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

GA has the App Name and App Version fields available for filtering, but that depends on what you put in them. There would also be the Device and Operating System fields, but they are not as clean as a 'platform' value.  [I am kind of on the edge of my knowledge here]

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have noticed the "Custom Reports" enable you to add any of my "Views" to the report (no matter their trackingID) - does that mean I can aggregate all my platforms through the use of custom reports? Or does it only mean that on creation of the report I just duplicate the report configuration to each of the Views?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Guy T
February 2017

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It seems my solution might be using a Custom Dimension such as "Platform" and set and send it with the running one. This way I can segment my reports with it. Makes sense?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Yes - that will work nicely.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks a lot for your help!