Analytics
1.9K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

How to remove threshold in Analytics

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi!

Can somebody help me and advise to me, how to remove the threshold in Analytics. The threshold was applied and now I don't see any information about demographics and interest.

Thanks for your help,

Petra

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to remove threshold in Analytics

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Petra J,

These thresholds aren't something that can be voluntarily removed (or added). They occur for the following reason:

Thresholds are applied to prevent anyone viewing a report from inferring the demographics or interests of individual users. When a report contains Age, Gender, or Interest Category (as a primary or secondary dimension, or as part of an applied segment), a threshold may be applied and some data may be withheld from the report. For example, if there are fewer than N instances of Gender=male in a report, then data for the male dimension may be withheld.

So in your case, it may be the case where you don't have enough data to truly obscure your visitors' information, and because of this, the threshold is applied.

Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I believe I am experiencing this exact thing with my demographics data. My question is, Is there any indication of how many data points/users are needed to surpass the threshold and properly obscure individual data? I'm just kind of wondering how large of a sample you estimate is needed to view this data. Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have several thousands visitors per day. As we invest on Google Adwords, for us it is very important to check demographic data, especially as we invest in 3 different markets.

I got message - Some data in this report may have been removed when a threshold was applied. Learn more

How to see these data? Note that we have several web sites and on each of them it is possible to see demographic data.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi

People the message does not mean there is no demographic data being displayed. It means there is at least one data point in one segment being displayed which is bellow google's unspecified minimum and that point is being "censored".

Anyhow there are a couple of tips to get around this:

Look at a biger time chunk. (Might not remove the weak link)
Examine bigger segments when cosidering demographic.
Increase time chunking from days to weeks. (Not possible in dashboards)

For example instead of looking at a stacked bar chart widget for avg session grouped by age and pivoted by gender - make two widgets one for age and one for gender.

Good luck!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It seems I began getting this message when I hit "cohort-beta" in my drop-down navigation. Before that, I was getting this information. Thoughts?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nicky Y,
I have enabled demographics in my dev site. The hits to my dev site is too low to cross the threshold. My business team wants me to test, if demographics are working in the dev site before making changes in the Production site. Can you help me on how to simulate the users to overcome the threshold value and see some values in the demographics report of Google analytics?

Thanks in advance,
Bala

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Bala,

I'm not familiar with a way to simulate users. You could try to expand your date range to encompass more data, or have people at your site help with providing data samples.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nicky Y,
What would be the approximate value of threshold?If you can give me a value, I will ask people to provide data samples for those number of users.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi, Bala,

Unfortunately that information is not readily available and probably only the Google Engineers that designed the system know.