Analytics
4K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

How to include historical data when creating a new property vew

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am taking over a few properties with years of historical data and setting up my workspace: filters, goals, segments etc.

Each property has only one original view with all the data in it and nothing on top, so it is indeed pure unfiltered data.

I want to be able the create a new view, with all historical data included, so I can set us my stuff on top of it, but without affecting the original views.

When a create a new view, the historical data is not copied. When I copy the original view, no historical data is copied either.

I search some past forum posts, all stating it is not possible do duplicate a view - only it's settings, but the posts are pretty old and most replies just call for implementation of this feature.

Has it been implemented? How can I duplicate an entire view - data, settings and all?!? I am stuck.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to include historical data when creating a new property vew

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Paulina
Unfortunately, this isn't possible. I believe it's by design too. Creating a view to apply a new filter for example, it's pointless because filters only work from the date they are created, not on historical data.

I understand that your use case is different.

The only way I know to achieve something similar is to use a third party tool to export and view elsewhere. It's not GA though.

I know this has been suggested as a feature many times before so the GA team are aware of the demand. Unfortunately, I don't know if they will ever see it as a priority.

Sorry that's not the answer you were looking for.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much for the response. I thought I was going crazy not seeing it.. It seems like such a no brainer... + filters could be adjusted to work retrospectively as well... I guess working with such a huge amount of data presents challenges we might not be aware of as end users.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Pays to promote and practice setting up multiple views so that you have one for active reporting, a pure untouched raw backup, a testing view to try out new filters etc. Doesn't help you looking back but moving forward it's very useful.