Analytics
5K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

How to add an existing tracking ID to my Google Analytics account?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

I would like to add an existing tracking ID to my Google Analytics account. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Malthe S
December 2015

Re: How to add an existing tracking ID to my Google Analytics account?

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

You can always generate a new Account ID and use it. Reverse is not possible.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Will you lose all historic tracking data by generating a new tracking ID?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That is my question as well; I would prefer not to lose several years' worth of info...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yeah, I've spent hours on the phone with rude Google support people today trying to do just that. Apparently there is no was to move a property to a different account (even if that account is tied to a company that is no longer in business). They could give me access to the old account but only if I could prove I own every property the old web developer tied to it, which of course I do not. This is a major flaw but one they don't seem to have any interest in taking ownership of or fixing.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Did you ever get a response that made sense or figure this out? I have a client I set up an account for years ago - they want me to take look at some reports but I can not seem to log-in and I can not add them to my main account... all seems very broken.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is not what he is asking. Very different...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think this has to be done from within the client account. In other words, you have to log into the account itself to give permission to be managed by a Client Management account (such as yourself or the one you are transferring it TOO). I'm having the same issue. I can see the account ID, it is working in a Wordpress website, and yet we cannot get into the REAL Google Analytics account to see anything because some twit left the organization w/out transferring ownership to someone else. Happens all the time. Very frustrating.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I guess those people have the same problem:

One person created the Google Analytics tracking ID  to track one website UNDER HIS/HER GOOGLE ACCOUNT for many years. He/she did not assign the permission to other people before he/she left the company or institution. Other people cannot access the data.

We have the same problem. Questions:

Can I use an existing Google Analytics tracking ID (used to track our website for many years) to create a "Google Analytics account"(Google Analytics --> Admin--> the "Account" column. I will call it a website name.) under my "Google account" (my gmail)?

If yes, please tell me how I can do?  Google Analytics-->Admin-->Account column --> Create a new account. The create new account page is for creating a tracking ID which I already have.

The key is people don't want to lose all the stats data.

Thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Gan, 

I also have the same quandary, my client setup a tracking ID on his account years ago and wants me to be able to view his data.