AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.2K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

How to add an existing tracking ID to my Google Analytics account?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

I would like to add an existing tracking ID to my Google Analytics account. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Malthe S
December 2015

Re: How to add an existing tracking ID to my Google Analytics account?

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

You can always generate a new Account ID and use it. Reverse is not possible.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Malthe S
December 2015

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

You can always generate a new Account ID and use it. Reverse is not possible.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Will you lose all historic tracking data by generating a new tracking ID?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That is my question as well; I would prefer not to lose several years' worth of info...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yeah, I've spent hours on the phone with rude Google support people today trying to do just that. Apparently there is no was to move a property to a different account (even if that account is tied to a company that is no longer in business). They could give me access to the old account but only if I could prove I own every property the old web developer tied to it, which of course I do not. This is a major flaw but one they don't seem to have any interest in taking ownership of or fixing.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Did you ever get a response that made sense or figure this out? I have a client I set up an account for years ago - they want me to take look at some reports but I can not seem to log-in and I can not add them to my main account... all seems very broken.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is not what he is asking. Very different...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think this has to be done from within the client account. In other words, you have to log into the account itself to give permission to be managed by a Client Management account (such as yourself or the one you are transferring it TOO). I'm having the same issue. I can see the account ID, it is working in a Wordpress website, and yet we cannot get into the REAL Google Analytics account to see anything because some twit left the organization w/out transferring ownership to someone else. Happens all the time. Very frustrating.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I guess those people have the same problem:

One person created the Google Analytics tracking ID  to track one website UNDER HIS/HER GOOGLE ACCOUNT for many years. He/she did not assign the permission to other people before he/she left the company or institution. Other people cannot access the data.

We have the same problem. Questions:

Can I use an existing Google Analytics tracking ID (used to track our website for many years) to create a "Google Analytics account"(Google Analytics --> Admin--> the "Account" column. I will call it a website name.) under my "Google account" (my gmail)?

If yes, please tell me how I can do?  Google Analytics-->Admin-->Account column --> Create a new account. The create new account page is for creating a tracking ID which I already have.

The key is people don't want to lose all the stats data.

Thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Gan, 

I also have the same quandary, my client setup a tracking ID on his account years ago and wants me to be able to view his data.