Analytics
2.3K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

How do I remove original creator of analytics account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our original web developer created our GA account and the relationship has gone sour.

They have added us in the admin section of users however we want to remove them from the analytics.  We do have "Manage Users, Edit, Collaborate, Read & Analyze" however when we try to uncheck the permissions to their emial addresses we can't select the check box to take away permissions.

It looks like they are the account owner possibly.

They have stopped responding to our emails after we showed them proof that they blocked Google bot from access the site for indexing purposes.  (we probably should have waited until we had control of the GA account properly.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How do I remove original creator of analytics account

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Have they added you at the Account level or Property level?
What happens when you try to access User Management from the first column Account in the analytics admin page?

If they have only given you admin rights at the Property level, there may be legitimate reasons they have done so eg other analytics properties within the same analytics account, that are not to do with you/your company.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
looks like it's just at the property level because we're not listed in the "Account" level. Just the property level.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
If it were me, I would grab as much info from the reports that you have access to as possible,
incase they remove the access you have or they delete the property etc.

I would also create a new analytics account with your own credentials (just select New Account in the fiirst column drop down),
and then swap out the tracking code on the site and start tracking anew.
The old Property will simply stop collecting data once that tracking code is removed.
And the new Property will start collecting data going forward once the tracking code for the new Property is added.

There may also be other changes you need to take into account re any ecommerce tracking setup, creation and configuration in the new
Property for any filters, goals, custom dimensions etc etc etc
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, we did consider that as a last resort we're actually in the process of wanting to implement goals and adwords conversion which caused the issue to come to light. We just didn't want to loose the 4 years of data from the GA dashboard. Do you think this process would help? https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/AdWords-Tracking-and-Reporting/How-to-gain-access-to-your-...

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
You wont lose the historical data provided you don't delete any Views or the Property, and even then, its recoverable from trash for up to 35 days.
You will also lose access to the historical data is if they remove you from having access to the Property and Views. or you remove
your own google account from the access they have given at this point

You could try a recovery, the thing is though, from what you have said, you have not ever had access at the Analytics Account level, only at the Property level

Individual Properties cannot be exported out into their own analytics accounts.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
okay thanks a million for your advice.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Nps, hope you are able to get it resolved to your satisfaction :-)

Cheers
Bronwyn

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

To add to Bronwyn's answer, your developer fell head first into the most important aspect of account creation: ownership and maintenance. As a company, you should *always* create your account and then delegate access.

As Bronwyn suggested, you may be better off with a new account.

Going the recovery route is going to be messy, incomplete and frustrating.

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan