Analytics
2.5K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Historical data when transferring ownership of Webmaster/analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi guys,

I have recently taken over an ecommerce business, including the domains. The previous owner wasn't very interested in Google Webmaster or Analytics and, as a result, they had Analytics for the site which they rarely used (although they had the .js code working) and Webmasters for the site that they didn't even get around to verifying.

I have access to the Google account associated with the business and it's GA and GW. My question is, what is the best way to go about transferring ownership without losing access to any and all historical data? My idea is to simply re-verify ownership of the site with GW... this seems the simplest way. If I do this, will I lose access to any previous data? If so, what is the best alternative? Grant my own google account full admin access to the current GW and GA then remove the previous owner's access?

Thanks.
1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

As far as GA goes, use the existing admin account to grant yourself admin access. No data will be lost.

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you very much for your reply.

So I should be able to simply add myself with admin access then remove the original owner as admin? Is there a way I an guarantee the original owner will never be able to access the GA again? To clarify, I have full ownership of the domains and hosting now, the previous owner has sold up and moved on.