Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Historial analytics data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

My client is in the middle of creating a new website with Shopify.

She does not want to loose her historical Google Analytics from her old site with the move.

How does she ensure this is still available - is it possible to upload and transfer the data to the new Google Analytics account that she will set up when the Shopify site launches?

Would appreciate any help on this.

thanks

M

M

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

My client is in the process of setting up a new website. She is transferring data from an old WordPress website  to a new Shopify site.

We do not want to loose any of the historical Google Analytics data from the old website.

So what is the best way to resolve this when setting up a new Google Analytics account for the Shopify site to ensure the old data isn't lost?

thanks

M

Google Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

My client is in the middle of creating a new website with Shopify.

She does not want to loose her historical Google Analytics from her old site with the move.

How does she ensure this is still available - is it possible to upload and transfer the data to the new Google Analytics account that she will set up when the Shopify site launches?

Would appreciate any help on this.

thanks

M

M

Re: Historial analytics data

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi :-)
I'm assuming she is going to be keeping her Google account that she currently uses to access analytics?
Provided the old GA account/property or view are not deleted, there should be no loss of data.
For the new site, she can then either create a new Property in the existing analytics account or log into analytics
and create a new Account, which will also create a new initial Property.

If you (or your client) want to learn more on GA account hierarchy
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1009618?hl=en

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Re: Historial analytics data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks so much

--
Marie Lawlor

Willow & Clo Digital Marketing

Webite: www.willowandclo.ie
Twitter: twitter.com/WillowandClo
Facebook: www.facebook.com/pages/Willow-Clo/162058460602928

Re: Google Analytics

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Just to add to that.
if you are going from an existing with GA code and a data history and client is replacing the website it would be usual to just put that same GA code onto the new site - that way the data is in one account/property/view otherwise a lot of analysis becomes much more difficult to do - i'e it is hard to do year on year comparisons if the data has been split across two accounts.
so id stay with continuing with the same account,
also set up at least two views at least the usual data view and then at least one more view as a data back up in case you stuff up one view with a filter or something like that you've got a back up (when you do a 2nd view it only starts collecting data form the day you create it so you won't have a full data set - we often set up 5+ views for different reasons traffic types etc. but always a raw backup data view that nobody touches.
hope that helps