Analytics
4.6K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Google is tracking my location against my consent

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 19.26.00.png

Dear all, I am having trouble finding help and have been directed to this area. Hope I am in the right place. I have turned off location tracking on my phone and macbook (apart for apple's 'find my phone' function should I loose it). I have also told google in my accounts setting that I do not want any location services functioning. Yet, still, google is tracking my location in the 'recently used devices' section and the 'check your connected devices' section giving my exact location! (as shown in the above picture) How can I turn this off?
Many thanks for any help.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee2 (Google Employee)
October 2016

Google is tracking my location against my consent

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

This is not Google "tracking" you without your permission.  This is Google recording where and what device you use when logging into your Google account - but does not track your movements.  It is part of the security features of Google and you agreed to it in Google's terms and conditions when you created your account.  In fact, Google has to know you IP address and device in order to provide you with Gmail, Google Drive, or other Google products - see https://support.google.com/mail/answer/45938

This information is not shared with any third parties.

To prevent this behavior simply stop using any Google product that requires you to log in.

Re: Google is tracking my location against my consent

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your help Phillip B. You have been very helpful indeed.
All the best,
C