Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Google analytics Property

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone can help me . I have a website and google analytics property linked. Now in few days’ time I am going to replace my existing site with completely brand new website. I have few campaign set up in the past and triggers etc with my existing GA account.

Would it be recommended to use the existing GA account (Copy the GA code and put in my new site) or shall i just create brand new GA property for my new site ?

I would like to run comparison between my old and new site to see how they are performing time by time ?

Thank you in advance

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi, Haroon M,

There are pros and cons to either choice. You would have to determine if you want to preserve historical data or not. If you create a new property, you will lose the historical data (you would still have access, but just in a different property). Also, if your past campaigns are irrelevant to the new site, then that would be another reason to start a new property - you get a clean slate.

Will your old site still exist so that you can do your side-by-side comparison?

Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Nicky

Thank you. Url will remain same except existing site will be replaced with new one. And you mention i will still have access to historical data that should be fine so with new property i can compare number of visitor on my new site comparing with my old site ?

thanks

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Haroon M
January 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi, Haroon, ok, so sounds like you'll be doing a site redesign then (same url, different look).

If you start a new GA property, you won't be able to do a direct data comparison. For example, if you chose to use the same property for the new site, then when you launch it, say January 13, 2017, you would at least be able to compare directly in GA your new site data (January 13 and onwards) to the old site data (January 12 and back). But if you had the new site in a new property, it would be more cumbersome to do that comparison.

Hope that makes sense!

Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Nicky . It does make sense .