Analytics
4.9K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Google analytics Account Double Up Issue

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello... my name is Lesley and I have a problem....

1. My web designer opened a google analytics account for my new website (under her email, but giving me access)

2. I (in error) opened my own google analytics account for my new website (we used different names inadvertently)

3. I now can't delete the account I opened and I can't get into the account my web designer opened because it just defaults to my account.

4. also, the account I opened picked up on my 'day job' email address and has attached my account to it and I can't delete it.

5. PERFECT situation would be if I could DELETE the account I opened - Can anyone tell me how to do that Please?

I would be most grateful for any assistance.

Many thanks

Lesley

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
If you log into analytics with the same email account you were logged into at the time you created the google analytics account.. and go to the Account Settings page

To get there -

-click the Admin link with the gear icon at the lower left of the analytics interface.
Takes you to the Analytics Administration page with 3 columns, each with a drop down.

-Select the applicable Account from the first column drop down

-then select the Account Settings from the link below the drop down

-Once the Account Settings page appears on the right, click the Move to trash button at the upper right of the page.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Re: Google analytics Account Double Up Issue

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Bronwyn... thanks sooooo much, I will try this and let you know how it
goes. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. Cheers Lesley

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi again Bronwyn... that worked perfectly.  I have now deleted the duplicate account that I created in error.... BUT, I still seem to have a problem and I am hoping that you or someone else can help me.

After deleting the dup account, I then went back to my 'home' emails and clicked on the link emailed to me by google to log into the account created by my web designer for me to view.

The screen that came up after clicking on the link was the same screen that came up the first time I did this, which had lead me to 'sign up' and create the dup/extra account (there was no "log on here to the account your designer set up for you" type of button).

I can't seem to get into my web designers account despite google sending me the link saying I had been given access and I can't go back to my designer, as there is a hefty charge.

Can you suggest anything?  

Many thanks again for your time, I am extremely grateful to you.

Cheers

Lesley

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I'm not sure what you mean by 'home' emails.

Sounds like they have possibly added you as a user but not actually set your permissions to the account properly, so you may have to get back intouch with them

Also, did they use a different email address to your 'day job' email address.. if so, then you need to log into the google account that is not associated with your day job email address that the web designer used for adding you to google analytics.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Re: Google analytics Account Double Up Issue

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Many thanks Bronwyn... I have a home email address and my 'day job' email
is a google account address, but my new night/weekend work that I've had a
website built for uses my home email.... and yes, web designer used their
own email address to google analytics, so I will go back to her for a
password and try that.
Many, Many thanks Bronwyn, I am really grateful to you and will let you
know if I get in ok.
Have a lovely weekend.
Cheers
Lesley

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

and yes, web designer used their
own email address to google analytics, so I will go back to her for a
password and try that.

You should be able to create a personal google account seperate and not associated with your day job email address. Once you do that, then the web designer can add you as a user to analytics with the required permissions, using your new personal google account email address and you will access it via your own personal google account login credentials. No need to share the password/login details of someone elses or your account.