Analytics
2.2K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics with Google News

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a website that is indexed in Google News and am having trouble determining if the traffic I am receiving on Google Analytics is representative of the traffic I am receiving from Google News.

Anybody have any insight?  When I look at the "Real-Time Overview" section, it show almost no traffic from Google News, but I have a hard time believing that I am getting no traffic, especially since my Wordpress Panel is showing 50-100 views for each article.  

Any help is appreciated!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Analytics with Google News

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Re: Google Analytics with Google News

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Troy,

it depends on the type of Google News traffic - do you mean traffic from news.google.com directly? Do you see news.google.com in your referral report?

If you mean Google News links in ordinary Google search-result pages things get more tricky. You might get some insights from the 'ved' parameter in Google search result URLs evaluating the full referrer in an Analytics view filter [1].

But I totally agree that comprehensive tracking info for traffic arriving from Google Products besides standard search is definitely missing in Google Analytics ever since!

Christoph

[1] https://moz.com/blog/decoding-googles-referral-string-or-how-i-survived-secure-search