Analytics
4.5K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics tracking code not working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I created ID code UA-77249155-1 a couple of months ago to track down my site http://www.goodnesssecrets.com what instantly returned reports.

Due to travel, didn't check reporting for the last month an a half. When attempting to log in again it asked me to create a new code what I've done (UA-81283437-1). Unfortunately this new code is not showing any of the past history.

Is there anyway the first code could please be reset so that I get all my tracking history back?

Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,

Almudena

Re: Google Analytics tracking code not working

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Almudena,

UA-77249155-1 tracking code seems to work properly.

Did you use the same Google account that you used before when you logged in to your Google Analytics account? Are you sure? Smiley Happy

Do you have a colleague or webmaster who might have the account level access?
If you're sure that you used the same Google account before as well and you still don't have an access, I recommend you to contact your colleague or webmaster. If they have a "Manage users" permission at the account level, they can help you out.

If you still struggle with this problem, I recommend you read this topic: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/AdWords-Tracking-and-Reporting/Regaining-access-to-your-Go...

Hope this helps.
Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Taavi,

Thanks for prompt reply.
There we go! It works now...magic!! Smiley Happy This is something that has always amazed me...don't know how but whenever something doesn't work it comes to work when an IT expert comes close, hats off!

The query I've though is that there seems not to be much data...well has if there has only been one visit in Jul 27th since I set up Google Analytics back in May what is a bit hard to believe as I set it up and published and post right after what already generated traffic that I could see at the time.

Could you please advise if there is anything else that I'm doing wrong?

Thanks a million for your very valuable help.

Best regards,

Almudena

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi again Smiley Happy

If you're analyzing the reports under the right property (UA-77249155-1), you should see your website's (http://www.goodnesssecrets.com/) traffic.

I recommend you to go to Google Analytics and open the Real-Time -> Overview reports. After that open a new tab in your browser and go to your website. Do you see yourself in the Real-Time reports navigating from one page to another? (it will take 10-15 seconds then you might see yourself)

If you see yourself there, probably your Google Analytics tracking code works properly. I don't want to go too technical right away but there can be a chance that you don't see yourself. Let us know if it happens. Smiley Happy

One more tip: You should compare the results between different days and weeks. Maybe you just didn't have a lot of traffic on the 27th of July.

Hope this helps.
Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Dear Taavi,

Thanks a million for your insightful advice, it all makes more sense now. And my past performance history seems to be back in the reports, I'm so pleased Smiley Happy

I've followed your directions of opening Google Analytics and then browsing my website on a separate tab but unfortunately can't see the activity live on the reports. Could you please advise once again on how to fix this?

Thanks again a million for your amazing support.

Best wishes,

Almudena

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Almudena,

Great to hear from you. Smiley Happy

Here are the instructions:

1. Log in to your Google Analytics account

2. Go to -> Admin -> Property settings -> Tracking Id (Do you see there UA-77249155-1? If you see it, that's fine).

tracking code.png

3. Go to Reporting -> Real-Time -> Overview

overview.png

4. Open a new tab and go to your website: http://www.goodnesssecrets.com/

5. Navigate to your Blog

6. Check the Google Analytics tab (that is already opened). Do you see yourself? (there could be more than 1 visitor, so try to navigate between different links (blog, about, contact).

blog.png

7. If you don't see yourself, could you see someone else or you have 0 visitors?

8. If you don't see anyone, click on the bell that is at the top-right corner of the page:

bell.png

9. If you see this kind of notification, let me know - your Google Analytics tracking code doesn't work properly.

notification.png

If you see yourself in the real-time report, everything should be ok. If you haven't created some kind of internal tracking filters in the past, you should probably see yourself.

I tested your tracking code implementation and it seems to me that it works correctly.

Let me know how it goes. Smiley Happy

Hope this helps.

Taavi