Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics clause

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I signed up for Google Analytics, I received a notice stating that there was a clause that needed to be inserted into my Privacy Policy. I cannot find this on the Google site anywhere. I am not looking for the clause that is inserted for Google Analytics Advertising. Can someone please help. Thanks. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Analytics clause

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your reply, Dave.

The clause I am looking for begins as follows:

We use a tool called “Google Analytics” to collect information about use of this site. Google Analytics collects information such as how often users visit this site, what pages they visit when they do so, and what other sites they used prior to coming to this site. We use the information we get from Google Analytics only to improve this site. Google Analytics collects only the IP address assigned to you on the date you visit this site, rather than your name or other identifying information.

I went to the page you suggested, and I also put the above clause in the Google Analytics page search box, however, I cannot locate the clause in its entirety anywhere on the Google site. Do you know EXACTLY where it can be found?

Thank you,

Teresa

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
This site generates google analytics (and other services) privacy clauses: http://www.iubenda.com/en

-------------------------
If I answered your question please 'mark as accepted answer & star' so that we know you have what you need
If my answer was helpful/useful but you still need more info please just 'star'
- if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know by reply and I or others will respond

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you. This information is helpful, and I may use their services as I am having difficulty writing my own privacy policy. However, I am still baffled at why I cannot locate the Google Analytics clause on Google's own website. If it's a requirement, shouldn't it be obvious and easily accessible?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I know what you mean - they have advice for other services: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2549063?hl=en
maybe this: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2700409?hl=en
The laws are different in different places so perhaps Google cannot state a set rule as US vs UK law on cookies are different -we have some UK projects and they had some very specific cookie usage notification requirements
Also as a big company Google will always be looking out for legal issues like "i used your recommended policy and so i am suing you if i get sued"
I asked Google one time just to explain what one of their clauses meant to make sure we would not be breaching it if we built a tool in a certain way and they refused to clarify the meaning/intention of their own clause - so basically even though we said - we are reading it in this way is that OK? does that follow your rules? if we build it to do this is that OK? they said that they 'do not advise on their policies and we needed to get our own legal advice' - how we are supposed to get advise on how google are interpreting their own clause is anyone's guess - so basically we didn't build the tool as wouldn't be worth it to find out afterwards that we were in breach of the clause - very very frustrating.

so yeah that was a bit of a rant sorry Smiley Happy