Analytics
4.4K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics Account Structure Best Practice

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So I think I already know the answer to this but I just want to make sure my understanding is correct. I manage a international website with a normal example.com/us/; example.com/ca/ etc.... setup we have 4 current sub folders to target countries but we are expanding to 8 soon. Our current implementation have everything on one property. 

Here is the issue, we are using free google analytics at the moment. So we are having issues with data processing delays & heavy sampling on our data, so I want to move to multiple properties based on our international channels (EG US / CA  etc...)

Current Setup

- All Websites Traffic

New Setup

- /US/ Traffic

- /CA/ Traffic

- etc....

Because our shipping destination is locked to our channels it possible that a customer could come to /US/ website, shop products, get to their cart and change to the /CA/ property during the checkout. I know this would mean loosing the source / medium data on the /CA/ property as it would seem its a direct sessions. Is there any way around this issue, would cross domain tracking help at all?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Analytics Account Structure Best Practice

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Philip,

In this case with different trackers, cross domain will not work. You could, of course, move to 360... or in the interim, you may want to deploy dual tracking, that is, keep your current property and deploy a second tracker for each sub-directory. That will give you good historical comparisons and the more granular look you need w/o (or less) sampling in the new properties/accounts.

The BEST way to do this is via GTM.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I had thought about doing duel tagging, with a reduction in our tracking to basic pageview & ecommerce for a globalised analytics profile. Moving to 360 of course is the best solution but $$$ Smiley Sad

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Agreed. Dual tracking in GTM is super simple.. .GTM uses private trackers so it's as simple as deploying two UA templates for GA.

-Theo
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn