Analytics
2.5K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics 10 Miliion hits limit

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, 

Can some clarify if the 10 million hits limit per month on Google Analytics applies to account level or property level.

In other words, if i have 2 different properties, each of them with <10m hits would this be ok? or these 2 properties would be aggregated and i would need to create an additional account?

Many thanks,

David

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Analytics 10 Miliion hits limit

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi David,

Th 10 million limit applies to property level. https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/limits-quotas?hl=en

• 1 Property = 10 Million
  • 2 Properties = Up to 10 Million Each

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi David,

The limit applies to the property. So you can have 2 different properties in the same account with <10m hits without having any issues. Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks guys, makes sense now!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

David,

I actually have to disagree with @Bryan and @Arnold. Per the Terms of Service, which is what really matters, the limit is 10 million per account per month.  See here section 2 of the Terms of Service (US in this example - https://www.google.com/analytics/terms/us.html):

"...the Service is provided without charge to You for up to 10 million Hits per month per account..."

Practically, the new "hit counter" feature in the Property settings shows Property level counts, however if you're worried about violating the GA Terms of Service (which you probably should be if you are) the account level limit noted in the TOS is the one to watch out for.  The property note in the developer docs does seem to conflict, but the dev docs aren't want govern the use of the service - that's the job of the TOS.

Hope this helps, and sorry to be the bearer of the bad news...

-Caleb Whitmore

www.analyticspros.com

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Caleb,

Many thanks for your response,

Your point in the TOS is what is confusing for me as then 'Account' is defined as:

""Account" refers to the billing account for the Service. All Profiles linked to a single Property will have their Hits aggregated before determining the charge for the Service for that Property."

Therefore, i don't understand why the hit counter is calculated at property level..In any case, i will stick to the TOS.

Thank you,
David

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi David,

The two sources of information clearly contradict eachother:
Option 1: https://www.google.com/analytics/terms/us.html Updated JULY/30/2015
Option 2: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/limits-quotas?hl=en Updated SEP/07/2015

I tend to stick to the latest version stated by Google. Google CANNOT hold you liable for T&Cs if their documentation directly contradicts their policy.

Please also note that there is another option: If you create one account for each property you can share the properties with an independent email address to view all properties together. Only the owner of the account has the restrictions and not the additional users who have access.

Lastly, Google will never get mean about restrictions and reaching quota. If you go over your limit someone from Google will give you a call and tell you all available options. They will NOT suspend your account or do anything drastic. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
David,

Account is the GA account or, for GA Premium users, all GA accounts (and all properties within them) that are activated against the GA Premium "billing account". I agree the terms seem a bit vague, and maybe that's the point. If you're exceeding 10mm hits/month in one property then you're definitely in excess of the TOS. If you're spreading hits across many properties under your account and they total up to more than 10mm then I would still recommend caution. From practical experience the axe can fall in both cases, however clear violations at a property level are typically what I've seen get more attention.

The hit counter at a property level was a great new addition. Aggregations for all properties under an account would be nice, but I suspect they just chose to build at the property level because that is actually where/how hits stream in. For more insight into how hits are distributed between hit types and properties in your account(s) we built a tool a couple years ago called HitCheck - you can give it a spin at http://hitcheck.analyticspros.com/.

Best,

-Caleb

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Bryan,

I think the TOS will definitely override developer documentation if it came down to an argument because the TOS is what you're agreeing to in using the service, no the dev docs. Creating many accounts to distribute hits between accounts and using a common login could work to a point, but there are limits on the number of accounts a single login can have access to as well.

Bottom-line, IMO for GA users who might read this, I think the point at which you find yourself trying to meander around the letter of the law in the TOS and split data between properties or accounts in order to try and skirt violating the TOS is the point at which you need to be asking yourself if you are operating with good business practices. Usually it's best to avoid TOS violation as a business with a lot of distance, not get as close to the line as possible without getting caught or getting in a fight with the provider about it. If you're really getting value from GA and you need more volume, well, you can sample data collection or go Premium. If you're not getting business value, then use another tool, don't violate the TOS.

Finally, and I know I'm being really contradictory here... I can attest from experience that Google will get "mean" about enforcement of their terms. They're pretty googley and nice about it - lots of advance warnings, notices, etc... however they WILL suspect your account and even "render data permanently inaccessible" if you repeatedly violate the TOS for volume and don't remedy the situation. If it gets to the point of data processing or access suspension you'll need to take action, and again, it's usually just a better idea to avoid the whole mess by complying with the TOS of a business partner...

Best,

-Caleb

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Caleb,

"I think the TOS will definitely override developer documentation if it came down to an argument because the TOS is what you're agreeing to in using the service, no the dev docs." - you may be absolutely right, but we are not lawyers Smiley Happy

"Creating many accounts to distribute hits between accounts and using a common login could work to a point, but there are limits on the number of accounts a single login can have access to as well." - Created account limit = 100 (400 for some) / Linked account limit = None that I know of, I am a trainer and link in to all of my student accounts. I am currently sitting on 1210 accounts, so if there is a limit then I have not reached it yet. I have also not found any documentation on this.

"I think the point at which you find yourself trying to meander around the letter of the law in the TOS and split data between properties or accounts in order to try and skirt violating the TOS is the point at which you need to be asking yourself if you are operating with good business practices" - nobody here is trying to meander around the TOS, all we can do as contributors to the form is provide information and documentation we find OR opinions based on work experience. In this case we (and you) provided links to documentation and it is up to the user to make their own choice. As far as I can see David never once said that he actually gets 10 Mil hits, for all we know he could just be curious - bottom line - noone is meandering, skirting or violating TOS, just simply laying out the findings.

"operating with good business practices" - I really hope we all are. Most contributors in this community have best practices in mind and want to provide the best possible solution.

"If you're really getting value from GA and you need more volume, well, you can sample data collection or go Premium" - If you are getting 10 Million hits your data will most likely be very valuable to you so you will be more than happy to upgrade.

"Finally, and I know I'm being really contradictory here... I can attest from experience that Google will get "mean" about enforcement of their terms. They're pretty googley and nice about it - lots of advance warnings, notices, etc... however they WILL suspect your account and even "render data permanently inaccessible" - You are talking about extremes here, I had a good experience from Google when one of my properties reached 10 mil. Google gave us a call and congratulated us on having a wonderful exciting product. They did not even force us to upgrade, they first tried to find our what our requirements were. We told them that we had a couple good promo days and that we will likely not reach 10mil every month. They kindly agreed to monitor it over a few more months. After we achieved more than 10mil a couple more times they called us back and we went through the upgrade process.

Google wants your data just as much as anyone else. I doubt shutting your account down is in their best interest (they will give you fair warning to try avoid this). However, if you try to meander, skirt or violate their TOS then as you said they may take action.

Lastly as a matter of interest (not a suggestion or recommendation) , my account that is achieving 10 mil hits every now and then is linked to my monitoring account and I am not getting any quota warning (or calls from Google) before or after going premium, so I do not know what their view or quota on linked accounts is (again, no documentation or TOS I know of)