Analytics
2.1K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analyitcs showing different amounts of traffic than twitter

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I set up a twitter ad with a link directing users to the website, it has received 40 clicks which should mean that GA shows 40 sessions, right?

GA only shows 5 sessions so far, why is this?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Analyitcs showing different amounts of traffic than twitter

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Natalie,

be aware that clicks don't equal sessions generally. So, 5 clicks of 1 user provides 1 session. However, the difference generally shouldn't exceed 10-20% in the long term. Have you been waiting for 24-48 hours to get the Analytics numbers safely completed? Any Analytics filters involved here?

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christoph Yes I am aware that 5 clicks does not equal 5 sessions, but I agree with you that it shouldn't be a major difference, i.e. 40 clicks should be at least 30-something sessions. I checked yesterday evening when I had around 20 clicks, this was 3 sessions in Google, it has been 24 hours and the clicks have double but sessions only up to 5. I am a basic user of analytics so am not using any filters I am aware of? Thanks Natalie -- Natalie O'Neill 07857891539

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm also seeing a similar issue when trying to compare the clicks from a LinkedIn campaign against the page views in GA. LinkedIn is claiming 10 clicks to a particular page but GA only has registered 5 page views (from ALL sources).

Natalie what are you seeing as the Page Views against your page in Behaviour > All Pages? Does this still not match up to what twitter is claiming?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Martin

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hey Natalie, how are things?

Have you checked if you had an increase of traffic on other Sources? Sometimes those clicks loose their original source/medium and turns out as Refferal, Direct or something else.

You'll have to compare the data from before up to the time when you started advertising on Twitter, and see if you got an increase on other sources.

Also, it's highly recommend that you use custom GA parameters to track your URL. They are called UTMs, and are useful to track your links from across the web. GA have a url builder that you can use here:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=pt-BR

By using that, your traffic should appear under "Aquisition > All Traffic > Source/Medium", and it's more reliable to keep track of.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Leandro Martinez

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click