Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Getting started

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello! I am attempting to track basic traffic to my site. 

I successfully installed Google Analytics to another site several years ago and I don't remember needing to paste the tracking code into any of the pages on my site. 

After completing the basic set up - will I still be able to access data such as the number of sessions, duration of sessions, and basic demographic information without adding the tracking code into my pages?

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Getting started

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Anna,

Refer Admin -> Account -> Property -> Tracking Info -> Tracking Code.

You need to add this JS cost to each and every page. The GA pages also says such thing "To get all the benefits of Universal Analytics for this property, copy and paste this code into every web page that you want to track.".

Since the default code send the "pageview" data to GA and if the code is not added to every page then it will not track the same to the pages where its not added.

Hope I am able to answer your question.

Regards,
Ankur.

Re: Getting started

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi there, 

to activate demographic information tracking, make sure to activate that feature for your Analytics property. 

Then, in your tracking code, make sure you enable that feature:

<script>
  (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
  (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
  m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
  })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

ga('create', 'UA-12345678-9', 'auto');
  ga('require', 'displayfeatures'); // ADD THIS BIT HERE
  ga('send', 'pageview');

</script>

Finally, go to your reporting interface and browse to Audience > Demographics > Overview

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan