Analytics
2.1K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Getting ownership of your GA data

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A year ago, we signed a contract with a firm to promote our Website's (using SEO) and they asked us to create a GMail account for it. At that time, I was not in charge of that project and it felt into the hands of the sales reps. Later that year, I convinced everyone to switch from our dying Exchange 2010 subscription to Google Apps for Business. Today, I am tasked to take charge of the GA data, as we are upgrading our Website and I find out that the data we've been collecting for over a year does not belong to us, and that we are only a viewer.

I called the firm, and asked them to transfer the account's ownership to us (adding us as managers, then I remove them) as we no longer do business with them. But they are not responding, neither seem to be willing to do that at all. At the moment, I only have sufficient permissions to export the GA data, but I read everywhere that I cannot import them into our original GA account (the one we had before).

So, how do I get ownership to that data? Why is it that Google does not implement a feature to transfer GA data from an account to another?

Thank you.

** Edit **

I have tried following these steps, however the AdWords is from the previous GA account (the one we had before the firm's). In short, there are two UA for the same Website; one is the account we had in 2014 (with AdWords), and one is the account the firm created in 2015 (no AdWords). I need to, at least, get ownership of the second account's data. I read that it's not possible to export/import data (I can't wrap my head around why, since this is a recurring problem that many.... many people seem to have), so I'll live with that. Unfortunately.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Getting ownership of your GA data

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
As you are aware, its not possible to move individual Properties from one analytics account to another.
Unfortunately it is likely the only option you may have is to export the data.
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here