Analytics
5.5K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Getting Analytics, Site Search and Tag Manager to play nicely?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys.

My employer is using Analytics for site stats (currently using Universal Analytics snippet), Site Search to power the site's internal search and Tag Manager to capture downloads.

A recent email from Google for Work Support has confirmed that Site Search is not compatible with Universal Analytics, but I'm fairly sure Universal is required for Tag Manager.

Is there a way to make the three play nicely together?

I'm wondering if dropping both snippets into the search page might work, but I'm concerned that this might report twice and skew the stats.

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Getting Analytics, Site Search and Tag Manager to play nicely?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi John - there is absolutely no reason why Site Search cannot be used with Universal Analytics!

By default the only prerequisite for site search to work is:
A) the site provides the query parameter inside the URL which can be identified - e.g. http://mydomain.com/someFolder/?q=someQuery (check the behavior > all pages report if this parameter exists in the page dimension - if not maybe the tracking code is stripping the query param out)
B) you have explicitly enabled site search in your GA view and as in previous example set the query param q

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Re: Getting Analytics, Site Search and Tag Manager to play nicely?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, Zorin. Any ideas how I could check if the tracking code is stripping out the query param? FYI, the param is set to q and the GSS support rep told me that we've configured everything correctly.

Re: the page dimension, we're hardly getting any data to check this. In the last month, the only entry under "Site Search > Pages" is (entrance) showing 4 unique searches and 1 pageview. Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks!