Analytics
5.4K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Getting Access To Previous Developer's GA Property

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So today has been a huge waste of time on hold with GA support. Maybe someone here can give me insight.

We just redeveloped a website for a client and want to bring over their GA tracking from the old site for performance history and comparisons.  The company that made their old site set up the GA property originally and they are for all intents and purposes out of the website business.  I called Google support and was told they had to reach out to the previous person before they could give me access.  They also had me add a file to the server to prove we owned the site.  Within an hour they called back to let me know the email they sent to the old developer bounced and they could give me access.  Unfortunately they only gave me access at the property level (to be clear I don't want access to the other properties the developer was responsible for) which limits my ability to do things like add filters, etc...

Is there really no way to get full access to this property?  Yes, I can create a new property but then I lose years of historical data and performance metrics.  This is terrible if true.  Even the ability to export data from one property into a new property would be fine.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Getting Access To Previous Developer's GA Property

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Zachary
sorry to hear you are having access issues.

to be clear I don't want access to the other properties the developer was responsible for
A Google Account can have up to 100 Analytics accounts and each Analytics Account can house between 1 and 50 Properties.
If you are granted access at the account level, then you automatically have access to any other Properties within the account
- which understandably Google is not able to provide you with that level of access to the Analytics Account.

Yes, I can create a new property but then I lose years of historical data and performance metrics.

No you wont lose them, not unless the View(s), Property or Account get deleted. You can maintain access to the historical data in the old Property and create a new analytics ACCOUNT with its own Property and place it's tracking code on the website.

Not ideal but it is really the only way forward if you want full access for creating filters etc.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here