Analytics
5.7K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

GA Tracking Code Changed Spontaneously

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A few days ago My GA stopped working. After checking, I found that the Tracking ID number on my account changed.  I can't figure out how to change it back.  I have been using this account for several years. Funny thing is it changed on Firefox and Chromium on my desktop but did not change on my Android tablet.

Can anyone explain why it changed and how do I change it back?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Bronwyn V (Top Contributor)
3w

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Here is how you can find the tracking code number of your Analytics

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1008080?hl=en#trackingID

And here are the instructions to change your code in Etsy. (From step 2)

https://www.etsy.com/help/article/230

From what I know Etsy only allows you to insert one code. So probably you are seeing some cache version in your Android. After changing your code back, clean the cache of all your devices/browsers and check your code again.

By the way, how are you checking your tracking code number in firefox and android?

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi @Kathleen R,

The code can only be changed by someone with access to your site (if it is directly installed) or GTM (if it is inserted through it).

If the new tracking code you are seeing is something similar to UA-00000-1, then you probably updated/changed a theme or the plugin handling Analytics on your site. The code is just a placeholder. So you need to change it back to your tracking code number.

This a common issue for WordPress sites after changing themes.

If you or someone from your team didn't change/update anything on the site then I recommend you to review your security settings and change your login credentials because someone could be messing with your code.

Hope this helps,

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply!

This is tracking one of my Etsy shops.  I haven't made any changes to anything. I will change the security. But most importantly I can't find how to change the code back and why did the code change for Firefox and Chromium but I have the right code on my Android tablet?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Bronwyn V (Top Contributor)
3w

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Here is how you can find the tracking code number of your Analytics

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1008080?hl=en#trackingID

And here are the instructions to change your code in Etsy. (From step 2)

https://www.etsy.com/help/article/230

From what I know Etsy only allows you to insert one code. So probably you are seeing some cache version in your Android. After changing your code back, clean the cache of all your devices/browsers and check your code again.

By the way, how are you checking your tracking code number in firefox and android?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I get to GA through my Etsy account.  So when I open it while using Firefox or Chromium GA is not working and I see the wrong tracking code. When I sign in through my tablet my GA is working and the tracking code is what it always was.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Carlos for the replies!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for this! It solved my problem. I couldn't understand why all the data would just disappear and when I read your answer about themes, the lights came on. I was playing around with new themes on my wordpress site a few days ago ...