Analytics
1.8K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

For how long GA treat a user as returning visitor?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Community,

My question might looks silly for experts, but I have to ask it here. I am curious to know about the returning visitors. I know that _ga cookies can last for 2 years by default. So if somebody has visited my website today for the first time he will be a new visitor for sure. If the same person visited after 20 days he will be a returning visitor. What about if that person visit exactly after 20 months? 

So how long google will treat him as a returning visitor? My understanding is 2 years. 

Every time the same user visit it will refresh the cookies. Does it add the timeframe to 2 years from the last refreshed. Assume all cookies are intact on user's system. 

Kind Regards

Deepak

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: For how long GA treat a user as returning visitor?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Correct, user tracking cookies have a duration of 2 years
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Can you please explain it for this segment of question:

"Every time the same user visit it will refresh the cookies. Does it add the timeframe to 2 years from the last refreshed. Assume all cookies are intact on user's system. "
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Deepak P
August 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Yes, the cookie expiration date gets extended by 24 months
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan