Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Filtering my IP address

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm tracking Sessions, but want to filter out internal team members.

I found the How To instructions but am stuck on the 1st step....determining my own IP address

I've searched Google for what is my IP address"

The Google response is:

2601:8c3:8201:1676:6daa:5492:44c2:c266
Your public IP address

Other sites say it's

The 2nd/shorter one looks more familiar, but since I'm filtering in Google Analytics, the 1st/longer one was from Google itself, so maybe I should use that one..

Help!

Filtering my IP address

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Michael, there are two version's of your IP; the longer one is IPv6 and the shorter/more familiar one is IPv4. You may want to check with your Network Admin or ISP to see if every one in your office is getting the same IP and then exclude it following the instructions here

Filtering my IP address

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Michael. If you got fixed ip number is ok to use ip filters.

IPv6: 2601:8c3:8201:1676:6daa:5492:44c2:c266

IPv4: 76.127.41.204

You may want to exlcude both ip. Please look: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034840?hl=en (Exclude IPv6 addresses)

Filtering my IP address

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks to you both!

well, I went ahead and set up a filter using the iPv6 version.

When I look at my Audience Overview, I'm getting a banner telling me I have a filter on.

Is there a way to  turn the filter on/off in the Audience Overview display (or other displays/reports?

Filtering my IP address

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm still confused.

First, there are only 2 of us and I'm the network administrator and the CFO and a partner, etc which means I don't know much about network administration.

Checked with my partner, on her own PC but using the same WIFI.

Her IPv6 is different than mine.

Her IPv4 is the same

I don't understand this...

Does the IPv6 contain additional information?  

I had originally created one filter using IPv6 and as a result of learning this, since I want to exclude us both, I changed it to excluding the IPv4 address.

Can someone confirm this?

Filtering my IP address

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Michael,

IPs can change at anytime for several reasons due to different network configurations. Excluding IP from GA data is useful only when you're getting assigned a Static public IP by your Internet service provider (ISP). I would exclude IPv4 for right now and will contact ISP to see if your connection comes with either a Dynamic (which means you can get assigned a new IP per connection session) or Static IP. 

In case you're getting assigned IPs dynamically (or even as an easier workaround), you can look into getting Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on installed on yours and your colleagues browsers, this will also be helpful if any of you works remotely through connections other than your office's network: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout

Filtering my IP address

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Buddy, this addon seems to be a much better alternative.

• Are there any downsides associated with using it?  on other sites? 
  • Is there any way to verify that it is working?

Filtering my IP address

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well, IP exclusions provide a blanket filter that excludes all traffic coming from different devices within a certain network. But, as I said it requires statically set IP. The only downside about this plugin that I can think of is not eliminating traffic coming from mobile devices.

Cheers,

Filtering my IP address

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Michael W. Google Analytics information will not be send to any Google Analytics property around the world. I prefer a custom dimension solution to filter by userType (employee, customer, visitor, etc) as they visit intranet, thank you page, other pages, etc

Filtering my IP address

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Buddy,

Is there any way to verify that this addon is working?