AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Facebook traffic in GA

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have two Facebook pages which publishes posts with links to my website. I can see social media Facebook Traffic within Behavior report. But how can I distinguish the traffic from two different pages? Do I need to link the two of my Facebook pages with GA? How to do it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Roshu N
July 2017

Re: Facebook traffic in GA

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Roshu, As far as I know you cannot link Facebook with GA. To identify which posts attributed to sessions or conversions you should try using the URL Builder https://ga-dev-tools.appspot.com/campaign-url-builder/

Make sure you use a descriptive label under campaign option. Also be sure to mark the source as facebook and the medium as social (no caps) so that it sends the data to the correct channel. Once you are done with the builder you will copy the link at the bottom and rather use that link in your next Facebook post.

Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 2.21.37 PM.png

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Roshu N
July 2017

Re: Facebook traffic in GA

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Roshu, As far as I know you cannot link Facebook with GA. To identify which posts attributed to sessions or conversions you should try using the URL Builder https://ga-dev-tools.appspot.com/campaign-url-builder/

Make sure you use a descriptive label under campaign option. Also be sure to mark the source as facebook and the medium as social (no caps) so that it sends the data to the correct channel. Once you are done with the builder you will copy the link at the bottom and rather use that link in your next Facebook post.

Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 2.21.37 PM.png

Facebook traffic in GA

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Bryan for your reply.

It's really helpful. Just one last question shall I also use this URL builder for normal posts or is it just for paid campaign posts?

Facebook traffic in GA

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

@Roshu N It works well for the following:

- Tracking link topics in emailers (set the source to "newsletter" and the medium to "email")

- Tracking Social (set the source to "socialnetworkname" and the medium to "social")

Should never be used to:

- Track your own internal links on your website

Facebook traffic in GA

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bryan,

Thanks a lot for your response.

I am also running some Newsletter campaigns. There are multiple links on that email to same domain. So do I need to build Campaign URLs for each link or is it just one URL required?