Analytics
1.6K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Facebook referral figures dissappeared

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys,

I have recently inherited a GA account in my new role.

Everything seems to be in order (including referral traffic figures from other social media sites) apart from Facebook referral figures.

It seems in July/ August last year the facebook referral traffic took a nose dive. It then dwindles into single figures before settling at a big fat zero (image in link below).

http://imgur.com/a/Y4ory

Apart from the fact that the social referral base level prior to August was pretty poor anyway this isn't right.

My gut is that it is a dev issue and I'll just need to get our dev agency to have a poke around. The main reason I'm here before doing that is because:

a) That will obviously cost money

b) I find it really odd that only Facebook is effected

Any help/ insight appreciated.

James

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Facebook referral figures dissappeared

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
James,

I would look at a date range comparison before and after the drop off. Use the source/medium report and change your sort type to absolute change. AS you click on the sessions column you will see the biggest increases and drops over the comparison. I suspect your referrals may have been part of some campaign that was then tagged using utm params.

Good luck!

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Theo,

I haven't tried your suggestion for investigation, I will soon, but I am almost certain this isn't the issue.

The refrral traffic has hit zero for months now and in fact Facebook doesn't appear in the social referral list at all (Acquisition>Referral>Network Referrals).

It is only by digging around in historical data that I can find any Facebook traffic.

I'm still leaning towards a dev issue but I just don't understand why referral traffic would disappear for only one network...

James

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hey James,

Well a change or beginning of using proper utm params will do just that. It would change them from being referral to whatever UTM values were used. If ALL referral traffic is gone, then I would suspect that something is happening. Easy enough to test by following a link through to your site and watching to see how the traffic appears in real time and then in the reports.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn