Analytics
3.8K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Ecommerce Hosting Embedding their GTM Code - Does this give them access to our analytics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I've been having a problem with Analytics and installed the Google Tag Manager to help.

Surprised to find that EKMPowershop is embedding their own GTM code (and accordingly UA code) into our pages.

I'm now curious - as I don't understand all of the access mechanisms in Google Analytics, as to whether this gives them access to all their hosted sites' analytics data.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Niki M
April

Ecommerce Hosting Embedding their GTM Code - Does this give them access to our analytics?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi, Niki,

It's very conceivable that EKMPowershop can view the GA data wherever their property ID resides on your site. In fact, if somehow my own property ID is placed on your site, then the traffic on the pages where my property ID is on will send data to my reports. If your code is also on all pages, then you would also be sending data to your own account, too. But one can only see the data they are collecting, wherever their code is on your site.

Hope this helps.

Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn