Analytics
4.8K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Drop in "Entrances" in October 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I handle the website for a public library. In October 2015, our "entrances" number dropped dramatically. I believe that much of it comes from our public PC's which are provisioned. Before this date in October, I believe that when patrons first logged in to a computer and clicked on our homepage, it used to count as an entrance. Now I think only one hit per day is counted. At least the numbers have gone down enough that this seems to be the explanation. On the date that we started experiencing the issues there was a change to Google Analytics iOS SDK; the version number is 3.14 and is noted here https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/changelog#header. Could this change create the change we are seeing. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Drop in "Entrances" in October 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
A session is ended after 30 minutes of inactivity. If the PC's are always on and in use, it is possible to get one entrance per day per pc. If there is anything on the PC that pings your page in intervals less than 30 minutes, then the sessions would never end (until it hits midnight, at which point GA starts a new session for you).
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for replying Mike. The thing is there there was a huge drop in entrances in October...nothing had changed on our end in the way computers were being managed. It is the change I don't understand. In September 2015 website entrances were 26053 with 18,077 of those our public and employee computers . In November 2015, total entrances were 11/982 with only 5372 on our public and employee computers. the numbers have stayed lower and seem to correspond to one entrance/day/public computer and a few others which are employees. But why the change??? The City web and IT teams cannot give me an answer either...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Kind of repeating myself, but if the public computer browsers don't clear their cookies, and if there is a 'keep alive' service that refreshes the page after so many minutes of inactivity, then GA will only see one session per day.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.