Analytics
4.3K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Does using Google Analytics require disclosure on my website?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In the Googel Analytics Help section, I came across this page 

(https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/7318509?hl=en&ref_topic=1008008) that states the following:

“When you use Google Analytics on your site or application, you must disclose the use of Google Analytics and how it collects and processes data.”

The term "must" suggest there is a requirement to disclose. Where did this requirement come from? And can you define what is expected in the disclosure?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brian K
April 2017

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

You mean you as someone implementing GA?  When you agreed to Google's terms and conditions during the set-up process: https://www.google.com/analytics/terms/us.html

See Item 7:

You must post a Privacy Policy and that Privacy Policy must provide notice of Your use of cookies that are used to collect data. You must disclose the use of Google Analytics, and how it collects and processes data. This can be done by displaying a prominent link to the site “How Google uses data when you use our partners' sites or apps”, (located at www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/, or any other URL Google may provide from time to time). You will use commercially reasonable efforts to ensure that a Visitor is provided with clear and comprehensive information about, and consents to, the storing and accessing of cookies or other information on the Visitor’s device where such activity occurs in connection with the Service and where providing such information and obtaining such consent is required by law.

If you use GA Advertising Features (like most organizations), you also agree to additional disclosures when you click the on switch:  "Enables data collection for Display and Search Remarketing. When you enable this setting, you must adhere to the Google Analytics Advertising Features Policy, including rules around sensitive categories."

And that policy says:

If you've enabled any Google Analytics Advertising features, you are required to notify your visitors by disclosing the following information in your privacy policy... [SEE PAGE FOR DETAILS]

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

For a US example, see one at the US House of Representative's website: http://www.house.gov/content/site_tools/privacy_policy.php

This requirement comes from Google. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, Phillip. Good example. Can you tell me where I agreed to the Google requirement - which of the agreements. Thanks.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brian K
April 2017

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

You mean you as someone implementing GA?  When you agreed to Google's terms and conditions during the set-up process: https://www.google.com/analytics/terms/us.html

See Item 7:

You must post a Privacy Policy and that Privacy Policy must provide notice of Your use of cookies that are used to collect data. You must disclose the use of Google Analytics, and how it collects and processes data. This can be done by displaying a prominent link to the site “How Google uses data when you use our partners' sites or apps”, (located at www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/, or any other URL Google may provide from time to time). You will use commercially reasonable efforts to ensure that a Visitor is provided with clear and comprehensive information about, and consents to, the storing and accessing of cookies or other information on the Visitor’s device where such activity occurs in connection with the Service and where providing such information and obtaining such consent is required by law.

If you use GA Advertising Features (like most organizations), you also agree to additional disclosures when you click the on switch:  "Enables data collection for Display and Search Remarketing. When you enable this setting, you must adhere to the Google Analytics Advertising Features Policy, including rules around sensitive categories."

And that policy says:

If you've enabled any Google Analytics Advertising features, you are required to notify your visitors by disclosing the following information in your privacy policy... [SEE PAGE FOR DETAILS]

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Great. Thank you!