5.6K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

Direct Traffic Went Up, Conversions Down, and Safari Traffic Trend

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Greetings,

My agency has noticed an issue in a couple of our accounts this month - conversion rates fell for our AdWords campaigns, and Analytics shows that Direct traffic spiked on the same days (Aug 20 & Aug 27).

At the same time, we have had a huge increase in number of visitors from Safari browser. In past, Google Chrome is the #1 browser at an average of 42% traffic coming from there (Safari usually at 30-33%), whereas in September we're seeing only 28% of all traffic coming from Chrome and 62% of it coming from Safari!

Is something happening at Google? Anyone else seeing the same in their accounts?

Dmitri

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Sounds like spam - there's a lot of posts regarding this in this forum. Obvious signs of spammy visits are, for example, bounce rate of 100% and 100% new users. A drop in your adwords conversion rates is interesting though, an overall drop on the website sure if visitor numbers are inflated but specifically for adwords may be something unrelated. Alternatively, it could be an issue with your adwords tracking - possibly a redirect - which is pushing your adwords traffic into direct.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi John,

Thank you so much for your input! I'm looking into the spam and redirect possibilities though it doesn't look like there were many changes in the URLs since last month. This is happening simultaneously to 8 of our clients as well.

Spam - we usually see spam bots come in as Referral traffic - how would you identify them within Direct channel?

Something interesting I found is that the traffic for Safari browsers increased drastically since Aug 20th.

Safari sessions from Direct Channel:

Jun 1-13: 2427

Jul 1-13: 2552

Aug 1-13: 2474

Sep 1-13: 6330

You can also see that a majority of our clicks come from Chrome as far as back I can see. Around 40-45% of our sessions come from Chrome and 30-35% from Safari. However, in September the percentage of sessions from Chrome is only 28%, and Safari is at 62% of all sessions!

Perhaps Google is making some changes on their end?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dmitri, 

I work at an agency and am seeing the same thing as well. It started on August 21st for us. It's across different hosting platforms, cities, etc. I can't seem to find a pattern to it. 

Experts in the Topic
John W