Analytics
2.4K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Diiference between source/medium and referrals

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

What exactly is the difference between source/medium and referals?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
Referral is a medium.
Source/Medium is a combination of the origin of the source and the medium to which it belongs.
eg mysitesentyoursitetrafficviaalink.com/referral or google/organic (for traffic from google search)

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you. Can you give another example? I am confused with the term origin of the source. Let's say a visitor landed on my website by clicking on a link on an email, will this link showcase as referrals? Thanks for your help.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hanumant
December 2016

Re: Diiference between source/medium and referrals

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

No it likely wont show as a  referral, usually it will show as direct/none 

Unless.. custom campaign tagging of the website urls has been setup

By adding campaign parameters to your URLs, you can identify the campaigns that send traffic to your site. When a user clicks a referral link, these parameters are sent to Analytics, so you can see the effectiveness of each campaign in your reports.

For example, you could use campaign parameters to find out if more users arrive at your download page in an app marketplace from an in-app ad or a search ad. You could also use campaign parameters to find out how many users come to your web site from a link that was included in a monthly email newsletter.
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033863?hl=en

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you so much. I have another query. Most of the referrals shows my own website link. What exactly it can mean?