Analytics
5.1K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Default Channel Grouping: User Defined for Organic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I recently updated my account's channel definition rules for Brand Organic Search and Generic Organic Search and a week later traffic for both channels completely dropped off.  I found that all of the traffic was now being  added to the (Other) traffic channel.  The differences between the Old rules and the New rules that i updated is that I switched from using a Landing Page URL rule to using a Query Type rule (highlighted in red).  Do Query Type rules not apply to Organic?  Can someone please review the logic (below) and tell me what I did wrong?

Thanks!

Brand Organic Search

Old - System Defined Channel matches Organic Search OR Source/Medium exactly matches msn / organic AND Landing Page URL exactly matches www.sstack.com/homepage

New - System Defined Channel matches Organic Search AND Query Type matches Brand

Generic Organic Search

Old - System Defined Channel matches Organic Search OR Source/Medium exactly matches msn / organic AND Landing Page URL does not exactly match www.sstack.com/homepage

New - System Defined Channel matches Organic Search AND Query Type matches Generic

Default Channel Grouping: User Defined for Organic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Re: Default Channel Grouping: User Defined for Organic

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

When you're defining "Brand Terms" in Channel Settings => Manage Brand Terms there is a small text below title:
"Add brand terms to better classify your Paid Search queries".
So I think this is only useful for paid campaigns.

Apart from that most of the organic keywords is unknown (not provided) so this functionality for organic traffic would be useless anyway.