Analytics
5.4K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

DATABASE Counter & Google Analytics Report Do Not match

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

On www.moody.buzz I have implemented database counter; so if someone clicks on the article they are taken to the details page; and on that page the database counter is increased by 1 for every page hit.

While my database pointer for the story as example shows 950 HITS; Google Analytics shows only 2 HITS.

This is severely impacting the ranking of my site.

URGENT PLEASE HELP.

thanks

Sarika

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: DATABASE Counter & Google Analytics Report Do Not match

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Sarika :-)
Using Google Analytics doesn't have any baring on your site being indexed and ranked by organic search engines.

The GA reports can help you make decisions on what pages may need optimization etc
The search engines have their own way of tracking users from the search engines to your site, and whether they bounce back
to repeat the search and similar and numerous other factors specific to them.

Google Analytics isn't a traffic logger. Its for measuring site visitor data anonymously in aggregate, and looking at trends over time in the reported data.

What does your db class as a hit and how does it track users?

Google analytics requires a site visitor to have an image, cookie and js enabled browser in order to record a pageview
There are also a number of other things that may affect pageview tracking
- filters applied to View(s)
- other scripts on the page
- multiple tracking scripts in different versions
- errors in customizing the tracking code
- viewing the wrong Account/Property Views

I would check that no filters are applied to the View.
and install Google Tag Assistant, so as to check for possible errors
wi th tracking code setup.
https://support.google.com/tagassistant/answer/2947093?hl=en

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Bronwyn, unfortunately lot of advertisers take google analytics data and per that value the $ rates..

For my database hit counter; it is a simple counter when a user hits the article on www.moody.buzz ; they are taken to article detail page; on this page as soon as page is hit I increase the database counter to that article by 1.

There is a huge difference between database counter and google analytics, as I have pointed out above ( 950 v/s 2 hists )

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
There seems to be two lots of tracking code installed.. the one towards the bottom of the page should be removed
or you will end up with incorrect/false data once it is working correctly.

How long ago did you install the tracking code? Has it been less than 48hrs?
The only other issue i am seeing is a 404 for the following image http://moody.buzz/images/footer-bg.jpg
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The reason I installed two codes is to check; as single was not working either. I will anyways remove one at the bottom.

This was installed about 20 days back.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi :-)
Can you also please ensure the Default URL entered into the Property Settings page
and the Website's URL entered into any View Settings pages is entered without the www,
the site automatically redirects to http://moody.buzz/ without www

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
yeah will do , but that will not impact this shocking difference Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Just out of curiosity, how soon after installing the initial tracking code,
did you add the 2nd tracking code at the bottom of the site?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

after two weeks, when single was not working; now I have removed second anyways, as it was also not helping.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Thanks, have you applied any filters to the View(s) in GA?

Also i know this possibly sounds trivial, however if you could please ensure the domain name is entered correctly
in the Property and View setting pages.
Something i have noticed is on rare occasions, the tracking wont begin to work until the View Settings have been saved.
Also in the Property Settings page, is there a default View selected (the setting is immediately after the website url setting)