Analytics
2.2K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Custom Data Import Issue

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am stuck....URGHHH

I am uploading custom data to bring in revenue and bookings from a secondary analytics platform (Omniture ) into GA. What I can't figure out is how to add the date into the schema, Or Should I be using a different import method?

I am uploading custom variable for Revenue and for Bookings, But I need to segment by day below is a sample of what I created and a screenshot of what analytics tells me

2016-07-08 10_30_50-Analytics.png

gaSmiley TongueagePathga:dimension2ga:metric2ga:metric3ga:date
/orlando-resortDISCV1$11/3/2016
/orlando-resortDISCV1$11/7/2016
/orlando-resortDISCV1$11/10/2016
/orlando-resortDISCV1$11/20/2016
/orlando-resortDISCV1$11/23/2016
/orlando-resortDISCV1$11/24/2016

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Custom Data Import Issue

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Jonathon,

You mention custom variable but your data show custom dimensions. Did you, in fact, create these custom dimensions in a universal web property?

The error message indicates that the data is not present in the schema but is expecting it, this could also be the problem. Make sure the dataset is also formatted properly. (UTF-8)

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/config/mgmt/v3/data-import#format_and_constraints

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I covered all of that, But the data I want to import needs to be organized by date since its about revenue, Its formatted right

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hey Jonathon,

Are you using a timestamp as part of the transaction ID? Only asking because I've seen it fail before when this was the case. Basically the system was interpreting the transactionID as a date.

It may be helpful to have a complete row of sample data here.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Its not ecommerce.... Let me explain

We have a booking partner in which we get ROI data and tracking through omniture
I want to be able to gather the data and add the ROI to the specific landing page it is attributed to so I can get better conversion values

Custom import is what I thought could work ( I created the custom dimensions )

Now I am stuck...Is there a better way?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for trying to help... Much Appreciated

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Hey Jonathon,

Looking at your datset I see that you've created a custom metric as well and I'm starting to see what you are atttempting. Smiley Happy

On the strategy side there may be a better way to handle this, that said, I don't know enough about your business and tracking set up to opine here.

Looking at your dataset again your date format is not YYYYMMDD which is what GA is expecting. It may be that it's just displaying this way and is in fact properly formatted in your csv. In case you have injected Excel into the process you may want to use notepad or sublime instead.

Hope that helps...

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn