Analytics
1.9K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Creating An Account To Track Sites I Don't Own?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi! New to this platform and was interested in tracking basic traffic data for a few of my client's websites. Obviously I don't own those websites - am I allowed to do that? Thought I'd ask the question before trying to create an account and including their websites. Sorry for the stupid question!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Creating An Account To Track Sites I Don't Own?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Kate :-)
Welcome to the Google Analytics Community :-)

What you are wanting to do is doable, however you will need permission of the site owners and the ability to edit the site source code, (or have them edit the site source code) to add the required tracking code snippet 

Thanks
Bronwyn :-)

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Re: Creating An Account To Track Sites I Don't Own?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Google Analytics works by:
1. set up a GA account
2. add the few lines of Javascript code to the website on every page
3. when people visit the website and move form page to page that Js captured info like visits / time on pages etc.
to do #2 you have to have access to the websites in question and therefore the owners permission
(if they are wordpress sites you can use plugins like Yoast that make it easy)

NB: you may wish to use the Google Tag Assistant chrome browser extension to see if the sites already have GA code on them as putting it on twice is really bad for data quality. Or you can use CTRL U to see source code then CTRL F for 'UA-' and you should see if there is any analytics code there already.
i hope that helps.