Analytics
2.6K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Company Ownership Change..

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our company has changed owners. We have a very busy website that is #1 in our area for charter fishing. We are looking at doing a website redesign and we know that the old site has been using analytics as we can see the tracking code in the source.

We have tried to obtain the login details to the old gmail account that was in control of the analytics/adwords/google business accounts but haven't had much luck.

My only work around that I can think of is to rebuild the website, create a new set of accounts, however, I am highly concerned that we will get "fresh" data and I think its important to have the "old" data so we have a good idea how much traffic we are getting before and after the site updates.

Does anyone here know if analytics transfers from old owner to new owner?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

You dont need the login details for the old gmail account.

You should contact the previous GA account owner and ask if they are able to add you to the GA account at the Account (not property or view) level with all permissions... or at the very least the property level with read/analyse permissions.

This way you would log in with your own google or gmail account credentials.

Failing that, you could try an account recovery, however its not guaranteed to work 

owning the current site/business does not automatically mean you own the past data related to it

More info on account recoveries here:
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/AdWords-Tracking-and-Reporting/How-to-gain-access-to-your-...

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, I appreciate that and am aware of that. The problem is that the previous owners are so busy they are tough to get ahold of and I don't know if we can sort it out by the time we finish the new website..

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Properties can be transfered between analytics account in most (not all instances) but the original account owner is still going to need access to the original and also the newly created ga account in order to do the property transfer, they also need to be very clear on the instructions of how to do it incase they inadvertently limit the access to the property.

The easiest way if they are able to is to add you to the analytics account at the account level with all permissions.
Once you are sure you have admin access at the GA Account level, you can then simply remove their access.
Having said that though, there may be legitimate business reasons they may not be willing to do that.

The other alternative is the account recovery process which may or may not have the desired outcome.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here