Analytics
3.5K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Changing Tracking ID

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi. I have deleted some sites from my Analytics and I add new one. So I see issue with numbering, here is example:

UA-XXXXXXXX-4

UA-XXXXXXXX-5

UA-XXXXXXXX-6

UA-XXXXXXXX-7

etc. After deleting and making new numbers still going up. Why this last number don't starting from 1? How to change last number UA-XXXXXXXX-4 to UA-XXXXXXXX-1 ?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Changing Tracking ID

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi MESSIAH K :-)

The first digits are the analytics account number and the last digit(s) in the UA# (tracking id) refer to the property number within the analytics account, they are generated by the analytics system.
This number is also within the tracking code that gets placed on your website and ties the tracking code to the reporting.
Each time you set up another property within the account, the tracking id will have different number(s) on the end
When you delete properties from within an analytics account, they are sent to the trash bin for 35 days before being deleted permanently.
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I know that. My question is how to restore deleted number of UA#(tracking ID). I have deleted UA - XXXXXXX-1 couple months ago. So how I can get back number 1?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi MESSIAH K, I'm sorry you are having this problem
Unfortunately, as per my previous reply.. if its been more than 35 days, it is not recoverable.
After 35 days anything in the analytics trash bin is deleted permanently and can no longer be restored/recovered from the trash.

If you find you are now needing to track that website again, create a new Account with a new Property or create a new Property within the existing Analytics Account.. and then put the new tracking code on the website.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't want recovery my deleted website. I want only making new tracking in existing account with new number. But my problem is when I create new tracking then I have new bigger number from UA-XXXXXX-14. My question is why when I delete some tracking numbers then this numbers is not available when I making new tracking for new website. Google system is bad. If I delete UA-XXXXXX-1 then when I making new tracking for new website I shouold expect this same number not UA-XXXXXX-2 and up. Can someone reset counter in database?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

It's safer that numbers do not get reused./recycled
Quite often users can forget to remove old tracking code from websites.
The tracking id is what ties the tracking on a site to the reporting for an property within an account.
So if tracking id's were being recycled by the system, it could lead to all sorts of issues with incorrect
data showing up in the wrong reports (or even in reports for ppl that should not legally have any access
to a particular site's data any longer)

I'm not understanding your concern/need for having the properties in the account start at #1

The google system is working as it should.