Analytics
5.2K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Changing Default URL to different domain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi folks,

I recently took over several domains relating to an ecommerce business and I am in the process of sorting out the analytics for them. On the host, I currently have 3 entirely different domains with 2 of the 3 pointing to the other domain: -

www.thisurl.co.uk

www.thisurl.com

www.theurlthatisactuallybeingused.com

The problem I am having is that I am getting redirection error warning in GA as the Default URL property is www.thisurl.com instead of www.theurlthatisactuallybeingused.com. So will google allow me to change the Default URL property to www.theurlthatisactuallybeingused.com without any sort of loss regarding the existing analytics?

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

Changing the default URL won't affect your historical data. Make sure you also change the website URL in your views settings and in your goals and filters. Let me know if you have more questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you very much for your response.

One problem - I have just attempted to change the domain and it wont let me do so. What is even more bizarre is that it will allow me to enter some letters but not others, and it wont save regardless.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Anyone? I can't seem to change it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Anyone? Still can't figure this one out.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Still looking for an answer to this one, Google don't seem able to give an answer.

Re: Changing Default URL to different domain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Did you find a solution to this yet? I am having the same problem now. I am also creating another property and it wont allow me to add all of the letters and numbers in the url that I need to get analytics on.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I changed the default URL when we moved domains and we lost all of our previous e-commerce data. Any thoughts?