Analytics
2.4K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Can we create a new account for same domain?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are preparing to launch a new website that will be using the same domain as our old.  I already have a GA account and tracking ID for the domain name.  I need advice on the best way to begin analytics for the new site.  I want to keep the old data for historical and comparison purposes.  Do I just set up a new property and submit a new site map (the architecture and page file names has completely changed).  Also, what steps do I need to take if any, to protect our current ranking for this domain?

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can we create a new account for same domain?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Angela,

If you don't want to continue collecting data in the same property as the old site and you want to start collecting data from scratch then setting up a new property is the way to go. Submit a new sitemap and make sure you 301 redirect your old page URLs to the new ones.

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/93633?hl=en

Let me know if you have more questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Can I keep the old property for historical data so I can make some comparisons between the new site and the old? How long would Google continue to serve up results that link to the old site's architecture? We have about 20 redirects (of the top hit pages) that we are implementing, but it's not practical to redirect every page.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Angela,

There is no official information about how long does GA store the data for inactive properties, I read somewhere that it is stored for at least 25 months but I have properties inactive for more than 3 years and I can still access the reports. Regarding the redirection - make sure you redirect the old URLs to the new ones for the pages you want to keep the rankings.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
so it is possible to make a new property with the same domain?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Angela,

Yes, it is possible to create a new property for the same domain. If you want to set up tracking for multiple properties on the same site make sure you read Working with multiple trackers.

Let me know if you have questions.

Can we create a new account for same domain?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Arnold,

I had accidently set up two users (both email id were mine only, one personal and one work emaild id). Just in order to delete my work email id from my GA account, I accidently set up my account again, because there was no way I could login after deleting my work email id. 

Now I have put a different tracking code. And I cannot find my old data. Domain is same. Should I wait for a day or two? Can I retrieve my old data in any way? I am a newbie blogger. My blog is just 3 months old. Plz help.