Analytics
4.2K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Can I migrate existing GA accounts to one Account (one Account ID)?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I manage several different GA accounts (over 80). I set everything up so that every website has its own Account, therefor its own Account ID. I'll spare you the details, but I need these "accounts" to have the same "account ID", so now I would need to change this so that I have one Account with multiple Properties (up to 50 per Account, as I understand it), and the same Account ID - BUT I want all of these sites to retain their data history. 

Sure, I could start all over, but I would loose the data history for all of these sites. 

I keep seeing how to move Properties, but I can't find anything about changing an existing Account to a Property under an existing Account. 

Does this make sense? And is this even possible?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jennifer S
June

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi, Jennifer,

Just to clarify, if your Property ID is UA-XXXXXX-1, then the Account ID is the XXXXXX part. So properties under the same Account ID would be UA-XXXXXX-1, UA-XXXXXX-2, UA-XXXXXX-3, UA-XXXXXX-Y, etc. If you have created your properties under the same account, regardless of the actual URL or site content, then each property will look like that.

"It's my understanding that if I have an Account called "All Sites", and under "All Sites" I have 1.com, 2.com, 3.com, ... each website/Property will have the same UA#. Correct?"

Yes, you are correct.

What you are talking about sounds like attempting to move the properties (from the different accounts) into the same account, and then forcing them to have the same property ID (ie. UA-XXXXXX-Y). The first part is possible, but the second part is not, unfortunately. You can move your properties, and retain the historical data, but you can't change their property ID, unless you create brand new properties.

Hope this helps (even though it may be not what you want to hear) Smiley Sad

Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jennifer S,

What you are saying makes sense. Your set up also makes sense - one account per website  (assuming they are completely unrelated websites). So just to confirm, you would like each website to have the same Account ID (as opposed to Property ID). I believe this is achievable (for up to 50 properties), and you would just need to move those properties into the main account. Note that doing so does NOT change the property ID. For example, if you had www.site1.com with property ID UA-000000-1, and www.site2.com with property ID UA-5555555-1, and you moved them into Account 9999999, UA-000000-1 would still be UA-000000-1 and UA-5555555-1 would still be UA-5555555-1. The data would not change.

Now my turn to ask you, does this make sense? Smiley Very Happy

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Makes sense... And all of my sites are completely separate URLs (with different UA#s), however somewhat related in the sense that they are all in the same program I manage, however my main reason for wanting to do this is so every site has the same Account ID (UA-xxxxxxx-1).

It's my understanding that if I have an Account called "All Sites", and under "All Sites" I have 1.com, 2.com, 3.com, ... each website/Property will have the same UA#. Correct?  

So, if my statement above is correct, then this is where I'm stuck... Currently every website is setup as an Account and has its own UA#. Is it possible to convert the existing sites (Accounts) to the Property level under one main Account, and assign the same UA# to all websites whilst maintaining the data history for each site?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, if there is subdomains, then each subs can have a profile and you use one folder to compile it all ! We have done this before because we use one shopping cart but multiple sites !

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jennifer S
June

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi, Jennifer,

Just to clarify, if your Property ID is UA-XXXXXX-1, then the Account ID is the XXXXXX part. So properties under the same Account ID would be UA-XXXXXX-1, UA-XXXXXX-2, UA-XXXXXX-3, UA-XXXXXX-Y, etc. If you have created your properties under the same account, regardless of the actual URL or site content, then each property will look like that.

"It's my understanding that if I have an Account called "All Sites", and under "All Sites" I have 1.com, 2.com, 3.com, ... each website/Property will have the same UA#. Correct?"

Yes, you are correct.

What you are talking about sounds like attempting to move the properties (from the different accounts) into the same account, and then forcing them to have the same property ID (ie. UA-XXXXXX-Y). The first part is possible, but the second part is not, unfortunately. You can move your properties, and retain the historical data, but you can't change their property ID, unless you create brand new properties.

Hope this helps (even though it may be not what you want to hear) Smiley Sad