Analytics
4.7K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Can I delete the original admin of an account?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been added as an admin to an analytics account for a website that I now maintain.

Can I delete the original admin who set up the account? I can see that the option to do it exists in 'User Management' - but I'm worried that if I do it I might lose the historical data.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dan B
January 2016

Re: Can I delete the original admin of an account?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Dan B,

You can safely delete other admins (and other users, for that matter) to an account without affecting your data, as there is no relationship between the two. As long as you have access, you will still be able to access all your data.

Note that if you have one admin only, you won't be able to delete that admin because GA prevents any account from being without any administrator - a safety feature, if you will!

Hope this helps.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Re: Can I delete the original admin of an account?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Nicky - that helps a lot. Very reassuring.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Nicky, I am a business owner and my old IT guy that set up our Adwords account under his email address is no longer with us. It says I don't have the permission to delete him. How do I delete his account and make mine the Super Admin? Please help.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Behman, to get admin access you can try using this troubleshooter, option 4: https://support.google.com/analytics/troubleshooter/7264014

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Ana, I already have admin access but I need to delete the user that has Master admin access and replace that with me. Thank you.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

There are no "Master" admins in GA -- just regular Admins.