AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.8K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Can I analyze desktop and mobile sites together?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My company has the desktop site and mobile site being analyzed in separate properties. Why isn't it possible to see those under one property? What's the purpose of the report that breaks down sessions driven by desktop, tablets and mobile if each property can only be optimised to one or the other? 

I see there is a roll-up feature, but we're not on a premium account. 

Can I analyse www.site.com and m.site.com all in the same property... and from there analyse the differences?

Thanks!

Brad

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can I analyze desktop and mobile sites together?

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes.

You always can use single property for both and create different views with right filters to segregate if required.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi
Yes there are multiple ways to structure this depending upon what you are looking for.
(review multi domain tracking info first if using a single code on multiple sites or sub domains just to be sure)
1. you can put the same tracking code on both the site versions and all the data will be collected into one property then you can split these into views
2. you can have separate code on each site and have another code that is on both sites (if using up to date 'universal' version of GA code)
3. Purpose of report that breaks down devices etc. is to show you their usage I am interpreting your question as meaning why bother having them if code only collecting from say mobile OR desktop version? With a single site e.g. responsive/adaptive developed it is very useful to have these reports.
With an m. and separate desktop site it is also useful as even if you have an m. site you will still get a variety of devices coming to both versions of the site.
So Yes you can analyse them both with one property
and Yes you can analyse the differences from there (you may want to use a filter to force the whole domain to be in the report not just /page-name but site/page-name so you can see m.site/page-name also in a report and determine the difference between the two.
All of these things can be done with the Free version of Google Analytics.

[If you liked my answer please 'mark as best answer' and/or 'star' it - if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know.]
Twitter @iamreasonable

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Brad,

keep in mind, however, that you can only analyze desktop and mobile browser traffic in one common Analytics web property (cross-device tracking is possible).

But you can't put together desktop and mobile app traffic because web properties are different from app properties (no cross-device tracking possible).

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Christoph,

Is it still the case the web properties are different from app properties or has that changed? Also, what about a web app (app.domain.com) that functions like the mobile app vs the website (www.domain.com) - should that be a mobile app property or a web app property? Thanks for any guidance on this!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Christoph,

I have same question with Scott. Is it still the case to use different properties for Mobile App and Web tracking. As far as I can see GA allows to create views to see both data together now. (http://marketingland.com/google-analytics-combines-web-app-data-single-reporting-view-80662) but they need to be in same property. 

What are drawbacks if we put Mobile and Web under same property?

Thank you,

Umut