Analytics
5.7K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Best way to setup an Analytics Code

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am completely new to GA and trying to set things up the "right way" to begin with. I'm trying to wrap my head around everything and also trying to see into the future and avoid screwing things up while being a newbie. This isn't easy. Smiley Happy

Here's the situation, my spouse and I are writing on a small WordPress blog together. I thought that while it's fairly new, it would be helpful to begin tracking the site. I've found multiple ways to add GA to the website.

What I'm not sure of is which account it's best to create the actual GA code on. We each have a private Google account, we have one personal "shared" account for things that we need shared access to and we also have created a Google account in the name of the blog. I was looking to see if it's possible to move analytics data from one account to another just to know if this is possible and it appears that it is not the easiest thing to do (basically, all but impossible with some slightly awkward workarounds). If you were me, would you simply create the account on your personal one for ease of login on multiple devices, would you put it on the Google account in the name of the blog (and grant both personal accounts full management access, which I read about in the Google wiki), or something entirely different? Obviously, this isn't as big a deal as it is for some as we own the blog ourselves. It doesn't directly tie into the Google account either as it's a standalone WordPress site. But I'd love to get this right the first time and not be kicking myself down the road for taking the time to understand what I'm doing.

Thanks so much in advance!

Rae

1 Expert replyverified_user

Best way to setup an Analytics Code

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Rachel P,

The Google Analytics account can be created with any of the emails, that is purely a personal choice.

I think I would create a Google Analytics account with the company email account and then add each of you as users of it so that at any given time either of you could simply visit Google Analytics while logged into your personal Google accounts and see the data.

If you need more assistance, please just let us know.

Kind Regards,

James